Skip to main content

Eugene, Oregon family photographer: Mike, Cassandra, Jackson, and Grace



I had so much fun last month photographing this sweet family! Mike, Cassandra, and their two adorable children, Jackson and Grace, came into my photography studio in Eugene, Oregon in November for a family photography session, and we had a great time.

eugene oregon family photographer

I’ve been a Eugene, Oregon photographer for some years now, and part of what I love about being established in business here is the opportunity I have to see and photograph so many familiar faces! I have been working with this family for a few years now, and they are a joy! I always love to have them in my studio. 


My last photo shoot with this family was when Grace was just a newborn—and what a cutie she was! If you missed her pictures, check them out here. I also photographed Jackson when he turned one. I still remember what a fun session that was as he tentatively explored his cake, played with stuffed animals, and showed off some of the cutest outfits! You can see from his baby photography session that he has had that signature smile since the beginning! He has always been such a happy guy, and he seems to be a great big brother to little Grace. He was great about holding her and posing with her during our session, and they look so cute together!

eugene oregon family photographer

These photos were partly for Christmas cards, and partly to celebrate Grace turning six months old. Grace was a little unsure about me and my camera, but Jackson (whom his parents have called Joyful Jackson ever since he was a baby) seemed completely comfortable and flashed me his bright, happy smile for every picture. I made sure to get individual shots of both of the kiddos, and then we focused on family pictures. 

eugene oregon family photographer

I love the yellow and burgundy color combination that this family went for. It’s flexible enough to work for both autumn and Christmas, and I love the brightness that the yellow lends to the deeper burgundies, blues, and browns. A lot of people tend to steer clear of yellow, but in the right shade it brings such a cheerful note to the session—and that’s exactly how it worked for these pictures. 

We used barely any props during this session. With the bold colors we didn’t want the photos to look too busy. Plus props are often best used in single portrait shots rather than group shots, to lend some texture and interest. With family photographs making up the majority of our session, and with multiple fun patterns in everyone’s outfits, there really wasn’t any need to spice things up with sets and props. 

eugene oregon family photographer

I feel so lucky to be the family photographer for these wonderful parents and kiddos. It’s always a pleasure to see them and I was delighted that they asked me to take photographs they could use for their Christmas cards this year, and to mark the passage of time as Jackson and Grace grow. I wish them and all of you a very Merry Christmas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shanna Chess Photography 1,000 Fan Giveaway!

I'm so thankful to all my clients and fans!  I reached 1,000 fans on October 1st!!  I can't believe it :)  Just after my 2nd year anniversary of being in business.  You guys are awesome! So as a thank you, I am doing a HUGE giveaway!  Thank you to all the sponsors who are helping make this so great!  See below for details and make sure to enter!  I know some of my fans are not local--many of you are other photographers or vendors that I've purchased from, so for those of you who are greater than 60 miles away from 97404 and do not want to travel to Eugene for a photo session with me, I will give the option of a $50 Etsy gift card :)  Have fun and good luck!!  And please make sure to click on Terms and Conditions towards the bottom of the entry form to read all the rules.  And let me know if you have any questions! Here is what you can win!  ALL ENTRIES WILL BE VERIFIED.  IF THE DRAWN WINNER HAS NOT COMPLETED ALL STEPS, I WI...

Eugene and Springfield, Oregon Newborn Photographer: Welcome Bennett

Sweet little Bennett is so lucky to have such a great family.  His big brother is absolutely adorable and his parents are just so nice :)  I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them!  Bennett is an alert little guy!  He wants to be awake and look at my light and take everything in around him :)  Reminds me of my older daughter.  Enjoy!

Eugene, Oregon newborn photographer: Welcome Emmett!

This little guy was so precious! Sarah and Brian brought in their new cutie Emmett for newborn photos back in November. (I’m actually having a hard time believing we’re already through the first quarter of 2022! Is that just me?) He was a total sweetheart! Parents are always welcome to bring special items from home. In this case, mom and dad brought a colorful quilt that a family member had made. Even though our session took place in the fall, the quilt’s bright colors reminded me of spring! It also gave us a beautiful splash of color, since most of our photos were with all-white backgrounds. A blue beanbag and heart from my studio collection of props matched the quilt perfectly. Since this newborn photography session took place just a month before Christmas, mom and dad requested a holiday setup. This is always a fun option if your session takes place shortly before a major holiday like Christmas or Easter. It’s generally easy to work in just a single holiday-themed setup, and these k...