Skip to main content

Oregon Family Photographer: Katie & Adam Marwitz Family



I had a wonderful time photographing this beautiful family near the end of July. I have been photographing Katie and her children since she was pregnant with their youngest, August, but this was the first time I met Katie’s husband, Adam. It was a pleasure to get the whole family together, and we had a lot of fun doing this family photography session at Detering Orchards here in the Willamette Valley. 

eugene oregon family phtotographer


Detering Orchards is located in the quiet town of Harrisburg, Oregon, and is a lovely spot. It’s a working orchard that specializes in fruit trees, and they grow everything from apples to cherries, plus berries, melons, peppers, and other bush and vine fruits. It’s amazing in the springtime, when the trees are in full blossom, but it really is beautiful at any time of year. When we were here, the trees were lush with green foliage, the clover was thick underfoot, and the cherry and peach trees were loaded with ripe fruit. 

We happened to hold our family photography session on a day when the sky wasn’t sure if it wanted to usher sun or clouds onto center stage, so we ended up with a very dramatic background. I love the pinks and grays in the sky, and the striking contrast of light and shadow on the trees and ground where the sun hits.  

eugene oregon family photographer


Katie and Adam’s three children, Annabelle, Micah, and August, are so sweet. Annabelle and Micah are great big sisters and have been willing participants of photo sessions ever since I’ve known them, whether it’s a newborn session for their little brother, or this family session. August isn’t quite as cheerful about having his picture taken, and this was the first session since he was a newborn that he really warmed up to me and gave me some good smiles. Let’s just say he has taken some convincing in the past, and hasn’t always looked at his most sunshiny in photographs! I’m glad he decided to try a grin this time, because that smile looks great on him. They are all such cute kids. 

Our session had a very warm, natural, casual feel to it. I love that relaxed look, particularly in family photography. Art mirrors life, and while I certainly stage my shots and try to make them the best that I possibly can, I also want to capture the essence of who people are, and the relationships they’ve built together. That requires the help of my subjects, so I love when I get to work with a family that can be natural in front of the camera, and that clearly love each other. All families have their ups and downs, but I think when people really are close and care about each other, it comes through in their pictures, and it’s something I love to see!

I’m delighted that I was asked to be the family photographer for this great group, and I hope I get to work with all of them again many times!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eugene, Oregon baby photographer: Hattie is ONE!

Hattie’s mom, Shanna, brought her in last month for a one year birthday cake smash photography session. Shanna (yes, her name is both spelled and pronounced the same as mine!) wanted to do a strawberry theme to go along with the banner and adorable outfit she had made for Hattie. What a talented lady! Looks like when it comes to the sewing machine she is a force to be reckoned with! Both the outfit and the banner were so cute and I was more than willing to figure out something a little different to match. 

Eugene, Oregon maternity photographer: Milk bath with Kelsey

Kelsey came in for a milk bath maternity photography session last month. She was expecting a little boy in early November. Needless to say, he is here now! I did his Fresh 48 photos in the hospital shortly after he was born, and will be doing his newborn photos as well. He’s such a sweetheart! Be sure to keep an eye on the blog   for his pictures!

Eugene, Oregon baby photographer: 6-month with Knox

It was so much fun to see Knox again last month for his six month mini baby photography session! I’ve been the Eugene, Oregon photographer for this family for a little while now, and I have so enjoyed getting to know them! I did Knox’s newborn photos when he first arrived, as well as his mom’s maternity pictures when she was pregnant with him, and they are just a fantastic family to work with.