Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Eugene, Oregon baby photographer: Donovan is ONE!


Sarah brought her sweet son Donovan in for a mini birthday cake smash photography session early last month. It was great to see both of them again! I did Donovan’s newborn session last year with his entire family, and it was a wonderful and tender time, especially as Sarah and her husband had lost a baby about a year before Donovan’s birth, so Donovan’s arrival was a time of great excitement and deep feelings. Because of the special experiences I’ve shared with her as a Eugene, Oregon photographer, Sarah is one of my favorite clients, and Donovan is so near and dear to my heart also, so this session, although short, was a real treat for me. 

eugene oregon baby photographer


Saint Patrick’s Day is Donovan’s actual birthday, so we had fun using that as our theme. I provided lots of green in our background and birthday balloons, plus a little more with the four-leaf clover cake, and Donovan even wore a Saint Patty’s Day shirt to match. He is such a handsome boy—I remember I was totally smitten with him as a newborn, and now with his sweet baby smile and adorable expressions he’s gotten even cuter, if such a thing is possible. Those big brown eyes just shine with glee, and I love that dark skin and hair just as much as I did when he was a brand new baby. 

eugene oregon baby photographer

A cake smash is always a bit of a grab bag as far as baby’s reactions: Donovan wasn’t really in love with his cake, but we still managed to get some great shots. He had a great variety of expressions for me to capture on camera, so even though our limited time meant fewer shots, every single one is different and seems to show a different aspect of Donovan’s personality. Even his pouty, on the verge of tears face is adorable. All that sugar was a little overwhelming for him, and in the end he decided that smearing the frosting across the floor and squishing it between his toes was a lot more satisfying than eating it. That’s okay though—I’m sure Sarah didn’t mind not having to deal with the sugar high and inevitable sugar crash that would surely have followed if Donovan had been more excited about getting more of that sweetness into his system!

I really enjoyed having Sarah and Donovan in my photography studio in Eugene, Oregon for this celebratory baby photography session. My only regrets are that it was a mini session, so we didn’t get to spend as much time together as I would have liked, and the fact that the rest of the family wasn’t there too! They are all so wonderful. The three of us had a fantastic time though, and Sarah and I were kept well entertained by Donovan’s smiles and general silliness. He is such a happy little guy and I feel very lucky to know him and his family and to have been part of his first birthday celebration!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top